Thursday, October 6, 2011

Go to meals

Everyone has their go to meals they make when cooking is just not worth the effort or thought. It is no surprise that tortillas are my go to staple in the kitchen. I literally feel lost if there are none in the kitchen. Some people run to the store the second they run out of milk, I go for my tortillas. Well this is my little variation, chicken fajita "quesadilla." I put quesadilla in quotes because it really has barely any cheese but I don't know what else to call it, maybe a tortilla panini?? Anyways I sauteed onions and peppers with a little paprika and cumin and added some precooked chicken I had in the fridge. Then added it to a tortilla with beans and a tiny bit of cheese and crisped it up in a pan. That was it. Simple, easy, satisfying.



Now for my go to breakfast. This one is a new development for this year. I used to only have yogurt but that got boring fast and a bowl of cereal doesn't do it for me either so now on to oatmeal. I struggled at the beginning to make it actually taste good and not like a bowl of paste but I have developed my own little technique for the perfect bowl of oatmeal. First I cut up half an apple into tiny pieces (yes it has to be tiny so you have apple bits in every spoonful), then you add close to half a cup of oatmeal. Now for the good stuff, add a lot of cinnamon (I tried to add nutmeg and ginger but it didn't make it better or make much of a difference), a spoonful of brown sugar, and a tad bit more than half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. The extract is the secret weapon, it turns it from mush to soul warming goodness. Finally top it off with milk (never water, its like hot chocolate, why would you use water instead of milk??) and microwave for 2 minutes. Enjoy with a warm, strong cup off coffee and seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment