Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cherry Frozen Yogurt with Dark Chocolate Chunks


Summer is in full swing, time for some frozen treats!


I was feeling a little nostalgic for Italy so the original plan was pistachio gelato. Well this called for thickening a custard slowly over the stove. I thought I had time to go into my room put on shoes and come back, but unfortunately I came back to a pot of pistachio scrambled eggs. It was a great disappointment, even more so because I had already invited friends over to hang out and eat gelato...
On to plan B. I always have yogurt so why not frozen yogurt? I used the basic vanilla recipe that came with my ice cream maker but modified it to make a cherry chocolate version and through my experiences I bestow onto you my best tip.

Don't skimp on the fat.

Don't use skim milk and don't use fat free yogurt. I've tried in the past and it never turns out right. It may be good straight from the machine but after its spent 2 hours in the frezzer its not longer creamy and just icy. No one wants an ice cube like chunk of ice cream.

So here is the recipe
1-2/3 cups whole milk
3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 cups fat-free vanilla yogurt (I used cherry but experiment with whatever flavors you have around)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (I used almond extract because I thought it complimented the cherry better)
1 cup chopped dark chocolate chunks (my addition but add fruit or nuts if you prefer)

In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the yogurt, heavy cream, and vanilla. Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The frozen yogurt will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the frozen yogurt to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy the treat and experiment!

1 comment:

  1. hey,

    This blog is absolutely fantastic.Very nice this information. Thanks for sharing merry moonmary.

    Frozen yogurt

    ReplyDelete