Monday, June 25, 2012

Sake House

For the second Blacksburg Restaurant Week deal, we went to Sake House, a primarily sushi place. I'm not a big sushi person mostly because I don't like seafood and more so if it's raw, but what's the fun if I never try something new?


First we started with miso soup which has always been too salty for me but the spoon is so beautiful that I eat some anyways.


Then we had a sample plate that included California rolls, 2 sashimi pieces, vegetable tempura, teriyaki chicken, and best of all gyozas. These were fried but the first and best ones I've ever had were steamed and were from Wok in Colombia. They were pork and mushroom gyozas in chili oil, another perfect example of simplicity at its best. When I have some time, I must learn how to make them.

The sample plate at Sake House was decent but not spectacular, it lacked distinctive flavor. Each bite tasted fine but nothing stood out. You win some, you lose some.

(Second photo by Andrea Rampone)

No comments:

Post a Comment