Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cherry and Raspberry Pie



Sometimes when you try something new it fails. Facts of life here, food can be deep. This valuable lesson was taught to me by a pie crust. Although I think the end result looked pretty good  (the woven top crust made me feel like an accomplished housewife from the 50s or Bree Van de Kamp, which I guess is the same thing in the end) but unfortunately was too tough. I think I may have overworked it so next time I think store bought crust is going to have to do.


The filling on the other hand was heavenly. The recipe for cherry pie required 4 cups of cherries but after half an hour of pitting cherries I was left with only 2 cups so the other half was some frozen raspberries I was keeping for an emergency just like this. The combination was actually perfect, it was sweet but still tart and bright, the cherries gave some body and the raspberries broke down and rounded out the flavors. Next time I'm just making the filling. I'll find ways to use it, crepes, biscuits, by it self... seriously it was that good. So to recap: things fail, crust bad, filling amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment