Monday, July 16, 2012

Almond Panna Cotta

You know, just chilling with some almond panna cotta while looking over my Italy travel sketchbook, no biggie.



Panna cotta is a mitxture of cream, milk, sugar, and unflavored gelatin so it becomes the texture of flan but tastes more like a mellower ice cream.
I made this wonderful dessert for several reasons:
1. Its delicicous, everyone should try it
2. I had extra cream from an Ice cream recipe that needed to be used
3. I felt like reminiscing a little and pretending I was back in Italy.

I used a basic recipe and then modified it by replacing half the cream with my version of almond milk. I let maybe a third of a cup of almonds soak in 2 cups of milk in the fridge for two days, then blended it, and finally strained it. Then I added around a teaspoon of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of vanilla (almond extract would be ideal but alas i had none) . Next time I suggest just using straight up almond milk because my way was a little time consuming, but if you have some almonds waiting in your pantry to be used like I did, then go right ahead. Also, I suggest making it a day in advanced, the cup I ate the next day had a much stronger almond flavor. This is a great recipe to keep classic or modify and add whatever flavor you want so go experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment